Friday, September 28, 2012

Fall Serenade Mini Album by Guest Designer Amanda Sherman



Hi, my name is Amanda.  I’m so honored to be a guest designer for Craft Warehouse today. 
When I woke up this morning, there was a wonderful crispness in the air.  The delightful crispness that come only in the Fall.  I’m always delighted when Summer gives way to Fall.  I’m pretty sure that I’m allergic to Summer, so the cool temperatures of Fall are thrilling to me and make me so happy each and every year.  I celebrate because it means I survived another summer!  It’s always been in the back of my mind to do a mini-album of the reasons I’m so thankful for the arrival of Fall.  Fall (besides marking the end of Summer) is my favorite season.  And why not document that, right?

A few weeks ago, I received a package of Bo Bunny’s new Fall line, Serenade.  The colors are deliciously Fall, just like all the things I’m thankful for.  I decided that now would be the perfect time to make this album that I’ve had kicking around in my head.  I set to work snapping some photos with my iPhone and used Instagram to apply filters to them all so they would be consistent.  I love the contrast of the ratios of a square on a rectangular page.  This was a perfect fit for the project.







In creating this album, I not only wanted to create a beautiful project, but I want to take the opportunity to share a few techniques that make these beautiful goodies more usable.

As I began on this project, the crocheted trim (by American Crafts) was white.  The color was too harsh for the very neutral toned palette.  To make it more cohesive, I used a technique I’ve grown to love.  I’m still a little shocked that I’d been scrapbooking for 7 years before I tried using Tim Holtz inks and an applicator to ink the edges.  I was always afraid because it would be too time consuming, but it’s not. 



The white is too sharp a contrast against the neutral colors.



Use Tim Holtz Ink (or other ink) and foam applicator.



Blot applicator onto pad several times.



Gently rub onto trim.



As you can see from the before (top) and after (bottom) the inked trim is much more cohesive in tone with the paper.  It creates an appealing look rather than a distracting look caused by a too harsh color combination.

In this album I used a lot of brads.  Really, how could you not?  These Bo Bunny brads are pretty darn pretty!



However, in the application of a mini-album, it’s not very practical to use a brad.  But with the use of a side cutting wire trimmer (available in the jewelry dept if you don’t already have a pair), they can be used as a flat embellishment.  I’ve been using this technique a lot lately as I have a large brad stash but I’m never a big fan of poking holes in my papers for brads, so this approach is the perfect solution!!




Open prongs of brad.



Using wire trimmers, clip prong flush with back of brad.



Apply two glue dots (or a 3-D glue dot or foam square) to provide enough adhesive height to adhere to project.

Apply to project!

With this technique, brads can be so much more versatile and can be used in places where you can’t always put a hole to use a brad the traditional way.

In this album, I did a lot of journaling.  However, I journaled on the same blocks that I put the titles on.  It felt amiss to just write above the title even though that was the purpose.  By using a ruler to simply draw a few lines with a lighter pen (when I replace my tired pens, I keep one around still to use for when I want faint lines drawn).  Then I journaled on those lines.  The lines anchored the journaling and made it all feel cohesive.




Just as the anchor of a ship keeps the ship in place and gives it security at sea, anchoring your journaling gives it a defined place and makes it feel like it belongs securely on your page.

Also notice on the page that I used the larger letters for the key words of the title, and then the smaller ledger style letters for the supporting words.  The two work together to say clearly what is the most important part of the title.  Not only does it create strength, it creates interest in the complimentary combination.  This simple technique adds a beautiful and communicative touch.

So, I challenge you to use these elements and create your own mini album documenting what you are thankful for!

Supplies:  Bo Bunny Serenade (paper, noteworthy Collection, stickers, alpha, mini album, brads), Cosmo Cricket letters, Simple Stories Take a Hike alphabet stickers, American Crafts ribbon, Tim Holtz ink

6 comments:

  1. OH - this is GORGEOUS Amanda!!! I am totally inspired to try this - and love all the great tips!!!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Amanda! Showcases your favorite season perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic Amanda! Loved the tips, too. The coloring the ribbon method was entirely new to me, and I'm still trying to process why I didn't think of the brad one all on my own...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Amanda! I love the cohesive look of this album.

    Here's another lace-coloring tip - I have colored lace to match my patterned papers by using small-point markers. The cotton lace absorbs the ink quite readily, and there are so many colors available I can usually find just the right shade for my project. I use the small tip ones because they can fit into intricate lacework and color the sides as well as the top of heavy lace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this album and want to make one! I love the lace idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this mini album Amanda! It's very detailed yet it can be very simple to re-create! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! We love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips