1. Stain the pre-made slat board using American Gel Stains in Walnut
2. For "Home", cut out letters using the Silhouette, and using a removable
adhesive, trace the letters one at a time with a chalk pen. (So, put the H
down, trace it and let it try, then put the O down, etc.)
3.Then go over each letter with white paint and a small paint brush. Using both chalk and
paint was a lot faster/easier than having to paint 2-3 coats to get an
4. For "sweet", print it out on the computer and quickly cut it out as one
piece (not the individual letters) so it will fit on the slat. Next,
rub chalk all over the back of the paper, place it face up on the slat
(so the chalk-y side is against the wood), tape it down and trace each
letter with a pen.
5. When the paper is removed, there is an outline of each letter in chalk and
just fill it in using a chalk pen. Then, cover over it with white paint
and small paint brush.
6. For the heart, first cut out a bunch of squares from burlap (they are
probably about 1.5 or 2 inches square). Then free-hand draw a heart
directly on the pallet using a pencil.
7. Use hot glue to attach the pieces of burlap. Put a dot of hot glue and
kind of smoosh the burlap into a little bunch and stick the "tip" of the
bunched up piece into the hot glue and hold it for a second until it is
secure. Start at one side of the heart and work in sections across
until the whole thing is filled in. A few pieces need trimming at the