Tuesday, June 9, 2015
DIY Luggage Tags
Fat quarter of your choice
A package of Quilter’s Vinyl
1/8 yard Fast2Fuse Coordinating thread
1/3 yard coordinating ½” grosgrain ribbon
Pinking shears or blade for rotary cutter, optional
1. Cut 2 - 11 ¼” x 4 ¼” pieces from the fat quarter fabric.
2. Cut 2 - 5 ½” x 4” pieces from the Fast2Fuse.
3. Wrap each piece of 11¼” x 4¼” fabric around each piece of Fast2Fuse. Following the manufacturer’s directions, fuse the fabric in place. Trim the edges with pinking shears or blade.
4. Place a business card 1” from 3 edges of a fabric fused piece. Trace around it and cut the card sized piece out.
5. Cut a piece of vinyl 1” larger than the business card. Stitch the vinyl in place 1/8” from the opening. If you are worried about the vinyl moving when you’re stitching, tape it in place on the wrong side.
6. Place this rectangle with the vinyl side facing up. On the short side, center a button hole opening ½” from the edge. Stitch a 5/8” buttonhole.
7. Cut the buttonhole open. Stack the 2 fused pieces on top of each other. Using your Frixion pen, make a mark thru the buttonhole opening for the ribbon placement. Separate the fused pieces. Fold the ribbon in half and stitch onto the fused piece, matching the mark.
8. Stack the fused pieces together again. On the ribbon end, center a 2” opening to insert your card. Using a walking foot and a ¼” seam allowance, stitch from one side of the card opening around to the other side, backstitching at each end. If you have long sturdy pins, pinning the layers together may make sewing easier. Insert your identification card, pull one end of the ribbon through the buttonhole and secure it to your luggage with a knot.